Friday 17 April 2009

A Small Chunk of London

I have been wanting to take a trip down to London for quite a while now. Living in a small town I miss the diversity, culture and all the interesting shops and markets they have there. Alex has been wanting to see the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum for like ever, so we decided to take the train down there this week.


The reason I had put this trip to London off for so long is that the idea of taking the little ones fills me with anxiety.



Unfortunately we didn't get to see the dinosaurs, as it was an hour wait inside the museum, and with a tired and cranky three year old that would have been an impossible feat. There were, however, lots of dinosaur bones to see elsewhere in the museum and Alex had great fun in the gift shop!
I have since pondered on whether this trip was actually worth all the time, energy and expense; we didn't get to see a fraction of what I would have liked, most of our time was spent travelling and negotiating our way through crowds of people and looking for toilets. Yet I have reasoned with myself that with children this age, London can only be done in very small chunks and that to them the whole thing is an experience in itself; the train, the tubes and the crowds of people.

1 comment:

Francesca said...

I live in a small village in the middle of nowhere, and I've always made a point to take my kids to the big city: too much rustic nature in their lives, and too little asphalt and glittering lights in mine:)! It's an effort and an expense. But I want them to grow up comfortable with the idea of a city.
PS And if I lived near Ldn, I'd take them there very, very often!